Saturday, June 30, 2012

I Did

Four years ago (yesterday) I made the best decision of my life. I got married to my wonderful husband. Back then we were two care free kids, living a pretty low key and stress free life. We were still in college and had no idea what real life was about!

But here we are today, with two kids and a whole lot more life experience in us. It's been an interesting four years to say the least. Lots of love, laughs, fun, and joy. And a few stormy times thrown in for good measure. Because marriage isn't all puppies and rainbows. It's a decision to love and continue working on your relationship. You keep working even when you're covered in spit up, haven't had a shower, and really want a nap. You choose to love your husband, even when he can't remember something you just told him. You make an effort to be the one who plans dates and outings sans kids, so that you can have that crucial one on one time with your husband. Why? Because it's so worth it.

One day our kids will be grown and gone, and when that day comes I want to know the man living with me. I don't want to look at him and go, "Who are you, what do we do now?" I want our life to be a journey taken together, where we both grow and change and take the time to make sure our relationship matures and changes with us. Otherwise we could end up virtual strangers in the same house!

I remember thinking on my honeymoon, that life couldn't get much better. I thought being on vacation with my new husband, was the best thing in the world. Well little did I know that four years later, I would think just one night away from every day life would be just as awesome! We were able to sneak away for a night and have some just the two of us time. A fantastically delicious dinner and a night at a cute little hotel here in town. The little ones got to stay with Gummi. (Ryan's mom)

It was everything we needed it to be. Time to laugh, time to remember why we got married in the first place, and time to talk without little voices talking over us. There were a few logistical things to work out (like where to keep pumped breastmilk in a room without a fridge) but overall it was a wonderful vacation for us.

Four years ago, I was the happiest I had ever been. 










But yesterday, I realized I'm pretty fricken happy right now. I just have trouble seeing it when everyday stress life gets in the way! So here's to happy anniversaries and living a happy life.

Us at the fountain outside our hotel


No comments: