Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sometimes Being a Mom is Messy

Monday was a MOPS meeting for us. I look forward to my meetings, because it means adult interaction, good lessons, and a hot breakfast. But I also hate the getting ready for them. Sarah is such a slowpoke when it comes to eating (unfortunately the kids do not get hot breakfast just a snack) and putting clothes on. So I have to really stay on top of her and keep an eye on the clock. Generally I get my diaper bags and whatever else ready the night before to make the morning a little smoother.

But we were able to make it out the door and to the church on time. I dropped Sarah off in her room (sans tears this time) and headed upstairs to enjoy my meeting. By the way, loved the meeting! It was about honoring your marriage and building a better relationship with your spouse. I came away feeling like I had learned a lot. Anyway after the meeting I decided to let Sarah run around on the playground outside for a few minutes.

After about 10 minutes, Andrew had had enough and was ready to go. So we started heading to the car, only after saying "bye bye" to every piece of play equipment and then the playground as a whole. Gotta love the things a two year old can think up. Once we made it to the car I realized that Sarah's diaper was looking kinda saggy so I laid her down in the back of the car.

GROSS! Apparently her diaper hadn't been changed while she was in her class. (I know this because when I opened her bag to get a diaper there were still the same number in there.) Let's just say she probably should have been changed. Her diaper was FULL. Very wet and then very dirty too. Lucky for me I had extra clothes and a lot of wipes.

I'm trying to get her cleaned up and I realize that this mess isn't going to be easily contained. Her clothes were covered, so I stood her up and stripped her down. Now I have a naked, messy toddler and a dirty diaper in the back of my car.


SQUISH, yup Sarah stepped in the diaper. So I'm trying to get all this grossness off of her and keep her from walking around the back of the car and spreading it further. At about this point 3 cars drive by and see a naked toddler butt and a Mama struggling to get it all cleaned up. All I could think was awesome. (This whole time Andrew was chilling in the stroller chewing on a Elmo book.)

I have never been so thankful to have a whole bunch of random things in my car. (Sidenote: My car is always full of junk. There's generally a few jackets, cups, CD's, books, toys, extra clothes for the kids and at least one sock that has no mate.) I found a grocery sack for the diaper and a Tupperware container for the dirty clothes. SCORE! Now everything smelly could be sealed up until we got home. Sarah (and I) finally came clean with about 200 wipes and a small bottle of hand sanitizer.

So my lesson in all of this? Check your kid's diaper before letting them go on a slide, it will be better for everyone in the end.

No comments: