Friday, January 27, 2012

Nights and Mornings

If I had my way, I'd sleep until noon everyday and stay up all night. Unfortunately, as a stay at home mom I don't really have that option. Well I kind of do on the weekends, Ryan is completely wonderful and lets me sleep in as late as I want on Saturdays while he takes care of Sarah. (The proof of a good husband right there!!) But to be honest, I still have it pretty good on the weekdays.

I am a night owl by nature. I have never been the kind of person that pops out of bed ready to take on the world. I'm more of a "take your head off if you talk to me before I'm fully awake" person. But since having kids, I've learned to tame my inner morning beast and be more patient with our mornings. But the mornings usually aren't too rough, as my kids seem to have inherited my nocturnal nature. They go to bed around 9:00 or 9:30 and don't get up until sometime between 8:30 and 10:00! I think the later bedtime also makes the kids a bit more flexible if we have things that keep them up, because they aren't used to going to bed right after dinner time. Although there are sometimes when it doesn't work out too well, and we have a 5 month old that wants to get up and party from 2:00 - 4:00 AM or a toddler who refuses to wind down.

This system works out great for us for the most part. It does make getting out of the house before 10:00 a little difficult sometimes, but since I know this I usually schedule things later. Honestly, I get the best of both worlds. With a late bedtime for me (1:30 or 2:00 AM) I get some down time without kids and to clean up the apartment at night, and in the morning I get to enjoy happy and well rested kiddos. I hate the days when I have to force them out of bed early. I'm already dreading school and that's years away.

I'm curious how other people do their bedtimes and mornings, because I know ours is not the norm for most. But it works for us.

No comments: