Monday, June 7, 2010

Busy Days (Long Post)

As I write this I am sitting on my couch while my daughter and husband dream away. I'm semi watching The Time Traveler's Wife and I'm thinking about how I should really clean my bathrooms. I can put that off for a few more days, or at least until tomorrow when Ryan comes home from work. Bathroom cleaning is one of those things that I really hate doing but I do it really well. I mean I really scrub everything from top to bottom. It's hard to get that done during Sarah's nap because she never really sleeps for a set amount of time. It's hard to comfort a screaming baby when you're elbow deep in foaming bathroom cleaner. (Yes I buy the generic Scrubbing Bubbles.)

Now that you know all about my bathroom cleaning habits, let's get down to the real point of my post. To decompress and process my busy week. This last week has been a tough emotional journey for me. On the anniversary of Kelsey's death (Wednesday) my siblings and I stayed up late and played Wii games and watched movies here at my apartment. It was a good change to do something fun on that day rather than spend it going to memorials. My parents were out of town for the day at some conference so I was watching my younger brother and sister. They came with me to Sarah's pediatrician appointment where she got her 2 month shots. Not a pleasant experience. I felt so bad for my baby. You can't really warn an infant that a shot will hurt but it's only momentary. It took me almost 15 minutes to calm her down. I honestly think she hates needles more than me. (Something I didn't think was possible.)

I spent Thursday night at my parents' place. We grilled salmon and just hung out enjoying each other's company. It was a fairly low key day. Sarah was slightly cranky which I am guessing was a side effect of her vaccines. She's usually a fairly laid back baby and being fussy just isn't her number. 

Friday had negatives and positives. Sarah was running a fever, yet another wonderful side effect from her shots. The pediatrician gave us a sheet of "normal" things to look for. A low grade fever was one of them. I had gone to bed on Thursday night with big ambitions of cleaning house during Sarah's nap. It NEVER happened. My baby was feeling bad and all she wanted was to be held and rocked by her mama. I love my girl to pieces but dealing with a sick, cranky baby for eight hours by myself grated on my nerves. Ryan made it home and then we dropped Little Bit off with my mom and sister so we could go out to a T-Bones baseball game.  I was so worried about leaving her because she hadn't been feeling well but it was all unfounded. She used up all her crankiness on me and was a good girl for her aunt and grandma. It turns out she LOVES Disney music. Sing it to her and she will immediately calm down. Colors of the Wind is her current favorite.
The game was a lot of fun and it was nice to have almost 5 1/2 hours of baby free time.

Saturday was our low key day. We got to lay around and do pretty much nothing until late evening. Of course we took care of Sarah but like I said before she's a pretty easy baby. Thank you Lord for that blessing. We took Sarah for her first swim and she didn't hate it. She acted indifferent to the whole experience. 

Then finally Sunday came. Sunday we had our church dedication for Sarah. It was a great ceremony and she did so well. She sat through the whole thing like a champ. Both sides of our family came and a good friend too. It was nice to reaffirm our commitment to raising a Godly daughter. After that we went to Ryan's parents' house where we had a nice barbecue and great family time. Which leads me back to my couch, sleeping daughter and husband, and my movie that I am guessing is about half over by now. 

No comments: