Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Let's Talk Teeth

My teeth that is since Sarah is still toothless as of right now. I went to the dentist today, technically yesterday since it's almost 2:00 AM. *Cue scary music* I HATE the dentist. I know going to the dentist is a common fear, but just knowing that I have an appointment coming up makes my anxiety level through the roof and my patience level sinks lower than the basement. I even have a great dentist, she's is such a sweet lady.

My anxiety comes from two things. One is the noises that the dental tools make. I cannot stand the sound of drills or the little scraper thing. It just makes my toes curl to even think of it. If I could find some way to block out the noise of getting my teeth cleaned or worked on, the dentist would be more enjoyable for me. Not that it's ever an enjoyable thing. This brings me to reason two. I seriously drew the short straw in teeth genetics. I have the WORST teeth ever. Every single visit to the dentist involves some type of work. Fillings, root canals, crowns, caps, sealants. I have had it all baby. Not fun!

I could brush my teeth 20 times a day and still have cavities. Anyway my visit today was prompted by a broken tooth. :( I was eating a cookie last Sunday and suddenly it was crunchy. Never a good sign. I felt around in my mouth and discovered a newly broken molar. So they got me in on Tuesday to see it and smooth it out. I was in ZERO pain from it which was great but I had to wait a week to get my crown. My 4th. :(

So after 2 1/2 hours of dental work, (this included my cleaning), 6 1/2 hours of lingering numbness, and a very swollen left side of my mouth, I have a temporary crown. I am happy to say that it wasn't too bad. The worst part was the numbing injection. I go back in two weeks to get my permanent crown and fill two cavities.

Oh and apparently breaking teeth is contagious. My dad broke his tooth eating skittles tonight. (He is 50 and has had like 5 cavities his whole life) So be kind to your teeth! Does anyone else have this fear of the dentist or is it all just me?

No comments: