Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Manhattan Weekend

Our weekend in Manhattan was a much needed break from our regular weekends of boring-ness. We got into town Saturday afternoon and within an hour or two realized that we wouldn't be leaving right away because of weather. That wasn't too much of an issue though because we had a place to stay for the night and people to catch up with. We spent Saturday night in Ryan's old apartment with his former roommates and some other friends.

It was a night filled with pizza, card games, and Mario Party 8. It was almost like being in college again. I really enjoyed being able to just hang out and not have to worry about anything. We stayed up past 3:00 AM. (This is a common occurrence for me ever since I hit the third trimester but not for Ryan) However I had people to talk to and no chores to do!!

Sunday we went to church and listened to our friend Josh preach. I fell in love with that church! The service was celebrating their second anniversary and it really touched me. One of the speakers talked about how God was telling her to make a commitment and just choose to follow Him. That's exactly what I needed to hear.

I have been complaining about how hard it is to find good Christian friends to relate to ever since we moved back home in June. I now realize that I was "church shopping" to find friends, not to follow God or serve Him. If I just allow myself to listen and follow God the friends will come in time. God didn't have us move back here to be all alone. He wants us to have fellowship and community. We just haven't been seeking Him in the right way. Now I know that we are ready. I am so thankful for The Well's message this past Sunday!

The rest of the day consisted of lunch and dinner with friends and it was nice to spend time with another married couple who is at a similar life stage as us. Sometimes I feel so much older than my 23 years because most of my friends are single or childless. I know that it's possible to still be friends with those people but sometimes I just want someone to talk to about how scary being pregnant can be. Or someone to talk to about my anxieties about taking care of a person and being responsible for their upbringing. So when I get the chance to talk to people at or almost at the same stage as Ryan and I, it's like a breath of fresh air.

Well that turned out much more whiny than I intended so I'm out!

No comments: