Tuesday, September 20, 2011

One Month

So it's seriously been a month since Andrew was born?! That seems absolutely crazy to me. Part of me is in shock that it's been that long and another part of me can't believe it's only been a month. It seems like we've been a family of four much longer than that. But I remember clearly our hospital visit and all of my nervous energy about his birth. I was so worried about how this tiny boy was going to affect our family and how we would affect him.

I have to say that things have been going much smoother than I anticipated. I braced myself for days filled with tantrums (not just crying, but flinging herself on the floor and turning red tantrums), spit up covered clothes, too many dirty diapers to fit into a trash can, and a filthy apartment.The good news? It's totally not that bad.I think by preparing for the worst and expecting the worst, I've been able to be pleasantly surprised.

Sure there are days when one of those things happens (or more than one) but I've been handling it fairly well. I'm proud of the fact that all three of us are dressed and mostly clean by the time Ryan comes home. The apartment isn't spotless, but it's not something I'm ashamed of. I do at least one load of laundry and one load of dishes a day so nothing gets too far behind. (Now the laundry doesn't always get put away immediately but it's clean.) No, I'm not supermom. I don't even think that for a minute.  There are plenty of times when I get overwhelmed and think "What did I get into?" And there are lots of times when I feel like I don't have it together, but I know I am dealing with this much better this time because of two things. 1)Prior experience with a newborn 2)Prayer

Andrew is a great baby. He is content to swing or sleep and cries only for food. He's not too demanding and doesn't even get phased by Sarah's efforts to help Mama out. (Sometimes this is just bringing me things and other times it's her almost dumping him out of the bouncy seat.) I absolutely love cuddling him though and I really look forward to nap time so we can snuggle. Sarah is great about kisses and hugs too! Sometimes we just have to give her reminders about being gentle. I still find it a bit hard to balance quality time with both kids and making sure that Sarah isn't missing out on things like play dates and going to the park because I don't want the hassle of taking two kids out. But like I said, it's been a lot easier than I thought. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I can't really be this blessed right? Here's hoping I am and that things stay pretty easy for us, because I have to say I'm loving our life right now. Andrew has truly blessed us and shown me that my heart has more room in it than I thought!

Andrew's stats

  • Size one diapers
  • Still in newborn clothes but some 0 - 3 are fitting now. 
  • Sleeps up to five hours!! Holy cow this Mama can get some rest if the toddler lets her.
  • He's nursing well and getting bigger each day.
  • He's beginning to be awake more often and notice things like patterns and noises.
  • Mama is his favorite person. Sometimes he stops crying just because I've picked him up. Then he snuggles in and falls asleep with a relaxed sigh. Melts my heart.

Little Man's typical afternoon pose!

No comments: