Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snow Day

I despise winter. Blame it on my southern roots or my rear wheel drive car. Whatever the cause, I hate winter. If it dips below 50 degrees, I start to get grumpy. I don't like being cold in the slightest. My husband can tell you stories about how I walk around in a hoodie and slippers claiming that our 75 degree apartment is freezing. I absolutely cannot stand my toes and feet getting cold. That's probably the reason I have a plethora of fuzzy socks and slippers. 

Anyway, here in the great state of Kansas, winter can mean anything from bitter cold to full on blizzard to near 70 degree weather. Right now we are experiencing the blizzard aspect of winter. There's about 10 inches of snow on the ground and more is still coming down. This makes the THIRD big snowstorm in three weeks. I am sick of snow. 

When I was in school, I never thought I would say that I was sick of snow.  I was still a cold weather wimp back then, but at least then the snow served a purpose. I got to be out of school. When the school closings would scroll across the bottom of the TV screen, I would hold my breath until my school was listed. Back then, a snow day meant I could stay in my jammies all day. I could watch The Price is Right, eat junk, play games,  and maybe go out sledding (but never too long).

Snow days have lost their magic for me now. All it means is that I am homebound. It's not like when I was a carefree kid/teen. I still have responsibilities and they're right here at home. I enjoy being home most of the time. But a sick and cranky baby makes me wish for those old snow days of nothing to do. (Sarah is starting to feel better, I think but her naps have been erratic and very short. This makes one fussy girl.)

Right now there is too much snow and too strong of winds to even venture out of the apartment. Not to mention that I will most likely have to dig myself out of the apartment. We have huge snow drifts everywhere. Luckily, we're stocked up on food and baby necessities. But it is kind of a bummer to know that we can't even leave the house to grab a coffee or go see a friend. The snow is beautiful to see, but it becomes a nuisance when it hinders my ability to go about my daily routine. This is why summer gets a lot more love from me than winter.

The good side of the snow is that we are all warm and safe in the house. Ryan was able to work from home and will be doing it again tomorrow. Sarah and I have made a game of watching the snow fall from the back door. We make it work. And maybe tonight, after Sarah's gone to bed, I can sit in my jammies with a hot cup of tea or cocoa and try to rediscover the magic of snow days.

No comments: