Thursday, March 17, 2011

Things I Wish I Had Known

So as my daughter nears her first birthday, I have been compiling a list of things I wish I would have known way back when I had a tiny newborn

  • The newborn phase of sleeping all the time is a blessing in disguise. They may be boring but never again will you have the convenience of a baby that is willing/able to sleep anywhere. I used to complain because I thought Sarah was so boring and I wanted to see her eyes open. Trust me I won't be doing that with Baby #2.
  • Adjusting to mommy-hood is not as easy as movies and other people like to make you think it is. All of a sudden you have much more responsibility and concerns. It's not all rainbows and giggles.
  • Babies make the best facial expressions.
  • It can take time to figure everything out. It's okay to not have a strict routine that has baby in bed every night by 7:00pm. You do what works for your baby and your family.
  • Hair bows aren't as awful as I thought they were. Sarah looked freaking adorable in them while she wore them.
Sarah and my dad, her Gramps.
  • Poop is not as big of a deal as it was pre-baby. It's even an acceptable topic of discussion and blogging.
  • An immobile baby is something to be cherished as well. Sarah started moving so quickly that I sometimes feel we were cheated out of the cuddly baby days. Once she was able to move on her own, she hated being held and cuddled and would much rather have been moving along somewhere.
  • Your life can change drastically once you have a baby, but it doesn't have to be in a negative way. For the first several months, Sarah just came with us when we went somewhere. And now we have a nice routine that works well for us during the week
  • Teeny baby clothes are addicting. I mean they are tiny and cute. I almost always peruse the baby clothes section of the store. Unfortunately not all of them have tiny price tags. I refuse to spend more than $20 on an outfit that will most likely end up puked or pooped on.
I love this onesie! It's one of the best purchases I made.
  • Everything becomes edible. Even if you never thought it could be.
  • Sometimes the best thing to entertain your child is not a toy. It could be keys, aluminum foil, or remotes.
  • You will make a complete fool of yourself to make your baby laugh. 
  • There will come a time when it won't even phase you when you listen to the same song or CD over and over and over and over to keep said baby quiet. (Colors of the Wind and Praise Baby)
  • A baby teaches you to love in a way you never thought possible.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

This is a great post. all those things are so true.