Monday, June 13, 2011

Meaningful Songs

I'm pretty sure everyone has at least one song in their life that will bring back a specific memory, or that will always be special to them no matter how old/unpopular it is. My blog prompt for today was a song that has a special meaning. Well I can't pick just one, I have a few.

The first is "Who You'd Be Today" - Kenny Chesney. I'm sure if you've read about my sister, this song would come as no surprise. In the time period between finding out she was dead and her funeral I listened to this song on repeat over and over again. When I sat at my desk trying to come up with the words to say at her funeral, I had this video playing on my computer in the background. I never did find the right words, but I spoke from my heart. And when it came down to sentencing I used the words of the chorus to explain to the court how horrible it feels to have someone ripped away from you so suddenly. This song really captures the pain of loss but puts it beautifully.

The next is "If I Die Young" - The Band Perry. This one is also tied to my sister. I can picture her saying the words of this song. I can't really describe why this song captivates me, it just struck something in me.

There are a couple of songs that have happier memories. Like "Amazed" - Lonestar. This was mine and Ryan's first dance at our wedding. I can't help but smile if I hear the song on the radio. It just reminds me of how happy and in love I was on my wedding day! (Not that I'm not now, but there's something special about the way you feel on your wedding day.)  We partied hard and had a great reception and each time I hear this song, it reminds me of why I married Ryan and why I was so excited to be a wife.

Another positive memory song is "Wabash Cannonball" - KSU Marching Band. (Pardon the video quality, I'm actually somewhere in that mob of band kids!) Anytime I hear this song, I am immediately transported back to a college football field and early morning practices. This song just screams school spirit to me and I was in the band for five years. I think I could play that song in my sleep at one point.... college marching band was like nothing I had ever done. My director was one of the best if not the best! And my friends were wonderful! I complained about it at times (okay a lot of the time): when I had 12 hour days, hard practices, 4:00 AM call times, sectionals, or during the dreaded band camp. (We're talking 13 hour days outside in the late summer heat. It was rough. We practiced harder than some athletes, which is why marching band should totally be considered a sport ...I digress.) But I loved my experience overall and I would do it all again.

Any special songs out there?

No comments: