Sunday, November 7, 2010

Last Home Game

Last night was the last home game of the season for my alma mater and what a game it was. I know I have mentioned before how marching band was a HUGE part of my life during college. It was literally like a second family to me. That was made so much more obvious by my director's thoughtfulness last night.

The year my sister would have entered college and become part of the marching band, she was murdered. So I never was able to experience that with her. My director dedicated the first half time show of that season to her. He also ordered wristbands and pins for the entire marching band to wear for that entire season. He told my family that for each year that Kelsey should have been in the band, he would make the wristband a required part of the uniform. This way she would be with them always. Her section (and mine), the clarinets, have tied a blue ribbon to the bell of their instruments to show her being there in spirit.



Flash forward to this season. This would have been Kelsey's 4th season with the band. Her senior year. At the last home game of each year all of the seniors are recognized and given a special plume to wear in their hats. The director invited my parents to come onto the field at half time to accept Kelsey's senior plume. It was so touching that he thought of her in the stress of all that the last game is.


Never have I been more proud to be a Wildcat!

No comments: